Legal framework for wind energy
Why a target for 2030 is essential for today
"The EU Commission has turned its back on jobs, leadership and energy security"
So commented EWEA on the package published by the Commission in January proposing a weak 27% renewables target for 2030.
It is now up to the Heads of States, meeting in March, to beef up the unambitious proposal so the wind industry keeps growing, providing jobs, exports, energy security and saving the EU money.
Why is an ambitious binding renewable energy target for 2030 essential for the wind industry today?
An ambitious renewables target shows investors there is a long-term market for wind energy, meaning they invest and the wind sector grows. This will bring:
- more green growth and jobs (investments of €25.3 billion and 795,000 jobs by 2030 in the wind sector)
- greater EU competitiveness;
- lower dependency on fossil fuel imports and better energy security (€51 billion of avoided fuel costs in 2030)
- renewable energy technology exports
- stronger EU leadership in wind power technology
- lower cost wind energy
What about a greenhouse gas reduction target?
EWEA favours a 2030 climate and energy framework based on:
- A 2030 renewable energy target
- A 2030 greenhouse gas reduction target
- A 2030 energy efficiency target
- We also need investments in grid infrastructure, a fair energy market and support for R&D
A greenhouse gas target is critical to putting a price on carbon and making polluters pay, but alone it will not provide the jobs, growth, energy security and cost decreases of a renewables target.
When will this be decided?
In the next few months!
- The Commission issued its Communication on 2030 in January 2014.
(Read EWEA's press release)
- The European Parliament will vote on its own report on 2030 in February 2014.
- The Heads of States should decide on the direction of the proposals in March 2014.
- Wind Energy the Facts (Executive Summary)
- Pure Power
- National Renewable Energy Action Plans (access for EWEA members only)
- EU Energy Policy to 2050
- Rethinking 2050 - European Renewable Energy Council
- 45% by 2030 - European Renewable Energy Council
- Summary of the 2050 Energy Roadmap scenarios (access for EWEA members only)
- EWEA response to 2050 Energy Roadmap
- EWEA response to the Renewable Energy Strategy
- EWEA position - 2030 EU Climate and Energy framework
- EWEA response to the EC Green Paper consultation on a 2030 framework of climate and energy policies
- Letter to Foreign Affairs Ministers (14/03/2014)