Legal framework for wind energy
EWEA’s public debate: turning the EU 2030 targets into a stable framework
See more info on the debate
"The EU Commission has turned its back on jobs, leadership and energy security"
So commented EWEA on the package published by the Commission in January proposing a weak 27% renewables target for 2030. What are the benefits of a more ambitious 30% target, binding at national level?
...and all these benefits come for less than 0.1% additional costs!
All figures from the European Commission’s 2030 impact assessment, scenario with 30% renewables and higher energy efficiency.
See EWEA's analysis of the 2030 impact assessment.
2030 Business Statement
What about a greenhouse gas reduction target?
EWEA favours a 2030 climate and energy framework based on:
- A 2030 renewable energy target
- A 2030 greenhouse gas reduction target
- A 2030 energy efficiency target
- We also need investments in grid infrastructure, a fair energy market and support for R&D
A greenhouse gas target is critical to putting a price on carbon and making polluters pay, but alone it will not provide the jobs, growth, energy security and cost decreases of a renewables target.
When will this be decided?
In the next few months!
- The Commission issued its Communication on 2030 in January 2014.
(Read EWEA's press release)
- The European Parliament supported three targets including minimum 30% renewables in February 2014.
- The Heads of States in March 2014 called for ambition and agreed a roadmap to decide on the direction of the proposals by October 2014. (Read EWEA's briefing on the 2030 Climate and Energy package 24 October 2014)
- Based on the Heads of States' recommendations, the European Commission will propose measures to implement the package, some - such as the ETS Market Stability Reserve - are already in discussion.
- 2030 EU Climate and Energy Framework - How to ensure wind energy plays its role
- Wind Energy the Facts (Executive Summary)
- Pure Power
- National Renewable Energy Action Plans (access for EWEA members only)
- EU Energy Policy to 2050
- Rethinking 2050 - European Renewable Energy Council
- 45% by 2030 - European Renewable Energy Council
- Summary of the 2050 Energy Roadmap scenarios (access for EWEA members only)
- EWEA response to 2050 Energy Roadmap
- EWEA response to the Renewable Energy Strategy
- EWEA position - 2030 EU Climate and Energy framework
- EWEA response to the EC Green Paper consultation on a 2030 framework of climate and energy policies
- Letter to Foreign Affairs Ministers
- EWEA's analysis of the 2030 impact assessment