14:30 - 16:00 Advanced design and control solutions for grid integration
Many new issues must be solved in order to integrate large amounts of wind power into energy supply systems. This session will consider how grid code compliance can affect wind power plant design and operation. Wind power plants must be able to tolerate short circuits on the grid, so testing of fault ride-through capabilities of turbines is required; and the design of circuit breakers for HVDC-connected wind farms is a particular issue. The session also considers harmonics caused by wind turbine inverters, and a method for modelling the effect of wind power plants containing multiple DFIG wind turbines is presented.
Delegates will be able to:
- Understand grid code requirements for wind power integration
- Recognise how wind pant can be designed and operated to comply with grid codes, and the effect on cost of energy
- Understand new solutions for circuit breakers in HVDC-connected wind farms to deal with grid faults, and testing facilities for wind turbine fault ride-through capabilities
- Appreciate methodologies for assessing harmonics caused by wind turbine inverters
- See how symbolic computation can be used to simulate the effect of wind farms comprising DFIG wind turbines
Lead Session Chair:
Ervin Bossanyi, DNV GL - Strategic Research & Innovation, United Kingdom
Sergi Rates (1) F
(1) Alstom Wind, Barcelona, Spain
Printer friendly version: Print
Presenter's biographyBiographies are supplied directly by presenters at EWEA 2015 and are published here unedited
Oriol Caubet-Busquet received the MsC Industrial Electronics & Automation from Catalonian Polytechnic University, Terrassa, Spain in 2003
He has been working in the wind industry for the last 8 years. He is currently a senior electrical engineer working in the Alstom Wind R&D Energy conversion group.
Before, he worked in several companies always involved in automation and mechatronics devices. Since 2007 fully involved in the application design of the wind turbines power converters.
His main interests are grid integration of wind turbines, design of power converters for wind applications and its reliability problems.