09:00 - 10:30 Advanced modeling of offshore and stratified flow
In this session on advanced flow modelling focus will be on the following issues: modelling flow under stable atmospheric conditions, tools for offshore wind farm planning and the benefits of high-resolution modelling. The stable flows will be modelled with CFD codes in three different ways, applied to on-shore and coastal environments.
Delegates will be able to explain:
- why flow under stable conditions is different from neutral flow
- the main additions to the CFD codes in order for the models to improve results under stable conditions
- the main parts of a tool for offshore wind farm planning and how they work together
- how increasing the resolution of models for resource assessment improves the value of the output
Lead Session Chair:
Lars Landberg, DNV-GL, Denmark
Christiane Montavon (1) F Mans Hakansson (2) Niklas Sondell (2) Ian Jones (1)
(1) ANSYS UK Ltd, Abingdon, United Kingdom (2) Statkraft Sverige AB, Stockholm, Sweden
Printer friendly version: Print
Presenter's biographyBiographies are supplied directly by presenters at EWEA 2015 and are published here unedited
After obtaining a physics degree from ETH Zurich, Dr Christiane Montavon started working in the field of Computational Fluid Dynamics, where she now has over 20 years experience. Her first contribution to the wind power community was through her PhD, carried out at EPF Lausanne, during which she performed pioneering research accounting for atmospheric stability effects in flow simulations over complex terrain. She now steers the WindModeller developments at ANSYS.