Wind Directions, April issue Powering the Economy
Wind energy: it’s clean and green, but the industry always says it’s also good for the economy. What is the real impact of wind energy on the EU’s wealth at a time of crisis?
EWEA Press Releases
The carbon price must be urgently boosted to fix the EU's Emissions Trading System and fight climate change.
The wind energy industry increased its contribution to the EU’s gross domestic product (GDP) by 33% between 2007 and 2010. In 2010, the industry’s growth was twice that of the EU’s GDP overall, with the sector contributing €32 billion to an EU economy in slowdown.
The final blog from EWEA 2012 - a great success, with over 10,000 people in attendance.
Emerging wind energy markets in Europe are expected to significantly increase installed wind power capacity by 2020.
Renewable energy targets for 2030, investments in electricity grids and the continuation of stable national support schemes for wind power.
A blog from a day at EWEA 2012 focused on Finance - day three.
A round-up of all the action of day two at the event.
Steve Sawyer of GWEC on future changes in the international electricity-generating sector.
A firsthand report from Day One of EWEA 2012.
Tough questions asked at panel debate on Day One of EWEA 2012.
What’s planned for press and media?
- Danish Prime Minister and Chair of the EU's rotating Presidency Helle Thorning Schmidt will attend the opening session, as will Crown Prince Frederik, European Energy Commissioner Gunther Oettinger and Felix Ferlemann, CEO of Siemens Wind Power.
- Danish Energy Minister Martin Lidegaard will chair a panel discussion on European energy supply towards 2030. Other high-level speakers include:
Ditlev Engel, CEO of Vestas Wind Systems
Jan Kjaersgaard, EMEA CEO of the Wind Power Division at Siemens Energy.
Stephan Ritter, General Manager Europe, GE Energy, Renewable Energy
Ian Mays, CEO of RES Group
Øystein Løseth, President & CEO of Vattenfall
Christina Grumstrup Sorensen, Senior Vice President, DONG Energy
Pedro Ruiz, General Manager, Acciona Windpower
Xabier Viteri, CEO, Iberdrola Renovables
- The launch of a major new study on the impact of the wind industry on Europe’s economy, growth and employment.
- The publication of the Global Wind Energy Council’s ‘Annual Global Market Report 2011’.
- The opportunity to visit Middelgrunden offshore wind farm on Tuesday 17 April.
- The main EWEA 2012 press conference on Monday 16 April followed by lunch and an opportunity to meet key conference participants informally.
- Briefings with track chairs and other speakers.
- Please see the Danish Wind Industry Association press kit.
The press room has desks for journalists all with free wi-fi, plus a small number of computers with internet access available on a first-come-first-served basis.